Friday, April 10, 2009

I am an LB

Lazy Blogger, that is. I've been meaning to update, but I keep thinking I HAVE to have a good picture to do that. My pics are all on my camera, and I'm too lazy to go get it after I've already sat down at the computer. Oh well.

As of today, I'm considered full term (37-42 wks is full term)! Samuel could come any day now and be fine. I still have not packed my bag, but I went to Target yesterday to get some of the things I didn't have for the hospital bag. I also pre-registered at the hospital yesterday. I guess that means I'm official. They have me on file and are ready to go.

The question is, "Am I ready?" I sat down and wrote a to-do list yesterday, and there is still SO much on it! Granted, very little of it HAS to be done before Sam is born, but I would feel so much better if I could come home and concentrate only on adjusting to having Samuel with us instead of playing catch up. I know it will all work out; it wouldn't be me if it weren't last minute, right? I've always said I work better under pressure.

On the fun side of things, I've had three amazing non-surprise baby showers, one with some of my girlfriends, one with my Dad's family, and one with my Mom's girlfriends. We have an unbelievable amount of baby stuff. Almost all of the necessities are covered, and lots of the fun things, too. I just have to get them all organized and thank the generous friends who have made it so much easier to prepare for Samuel.

One of the other things I have to do is buy some diapers. You may not know this yet, but I'm going to give cloth diapering a try. Why, you say? Well, besides having a hard time fathoming putting all those plastic diapers in the landfill, cloth diapers tend to cause less diaper rash, may be less expensive in the long run, and seem to allow the kiddos to potty train earlier. There are some GREAT diapers out there, both the old fashioned ones (although you now use "Snappis" instead of pins to fasten them) and endless varieties of newer ones, each one functioning more like a disposable that you just throw in the wash. The fancier the diaper, however, the more expensive. We'll be building our stash gradually, and I am okay with the fact that this will be a gradual move from 'sposies to cloth. Right now my drawer is full of newborn 'sposies, while I have one fitted cloth diaper and cover! One step at a time. If any of you out there are cloth diaperers, feel free to share your expertise with me. I'll let you all know how it goes once we really get into the big experiment. Needless to say, I'm much more enthused about this than Thomas!!

So, I would like to say that now we just wait patiently for the contractions to start, but I've got too much to do! Back to work. I've committed to doing 10 thank you notes before I put together the side table to go next to the glider. Hope I can stay focused!

2 comments:

mackenab said...

We've been cloth diapering for a while... Since Charlie was about a year old (and hence since before Megan was born). There's a company we like called Jillian's Drawers (jilliansdrawers.com) that has a neat "Try Cloth Diapering for $10" deal, where they send you a bunch of different kinds of diapers to try. (They even have a newborn version of this program, but that's not what we did --- obviously.)

We mostly settled on the bumGenius One-Size diapers for a while, but we've gradually been "upgrading" (a couple of diapers at a time) to Blueberry One-Size diapers. The main difference is that the Blueberries close with snaps while the bumGenius ones close with velcro. (The Blueberries are also more expensive, though.) We found that (1) the velcro tabs on the bumGenius diapers were about the first thing to wear out and (2) velcro is easier for little fingers to open.

I actually think that starting with disposables is a good idea, though. The One-Size diapers (which I think make more sense financially than other pocket diaper or all-in-one options --- though they are still much more expensive than old fashioned prefolds) don't fit newborns very well, and buying newborn cloth diapers that may be worn for as little as a month or two doesn't make much sense to me. (Megan was a big baby; she grew out of the newborn cloth diapers that we did buy in no time.)

If you have questions, though, let me know. I am also in charge of diaper laundry in my house. I know far more about cloth diapers than any self respecting man should probably admit in public. :-)

mackenab said...

Thought of two more quick pieces of advice on the cloth diapering:

* It has definitely been our experience that you have less diaper rash with cloth diapering. BUT, when we do have a rash flare up, we put them in disposable while we treat with diaper cream. Diaper cream is designed to protect the skin from moisture, and it does an outstanding job of protecting the diaper from absorbing, too. And it doesn't wash out very easily. (See next comment.) I have found various lists of diaper creams that are "safe" for cloth diapers, but I don't really believe it.

* Eventually, your cloth diapers will become less absorbent and/or stinky. Then, you need to "strip" them to remove accumulated soap residue, etc. Find details on stripping your diapers on the web, or ask when the time comes and I'll tell you what we do... We tend to do it every 2-3 months, or as needed.