Friday, March 6, 2009

March 3rd appt. update

So it's Friday and I'm just now letting you know how my last check-up went. Sorry about the delay for those who have been waiting since Tuesday. For some reason I just don't feel like typing up the summary right after the appointments. I guess I need some time to process every time I have one of these ultrasounds.

Most everything looked good in the ultrasound, and everything was great for the exam. Little Sam still has a small abdomen, but my amniotic fluid is well within normal parameters, and all the other measurements and checkpoints were normal. He was moving around quite well, too, so he was labeled an "active fetus," which is also good news. He is estimated to weigh a very normal 3lbs 9oz. As long as his abdominal circumference does not drop off the curve from this point, we won't do any other testing to follow up. If the abdominal measurement doesn't at least maintain it's current growth curve, they may want to do some testing such as a non-stress test (NST) to make sure they aren't missing any other signs of trouble. In my exam, my fundal height measurement (height of the uterus), which has been behind for several weeks, caught up completely - 4 weeks worth of growth in 1 week! I've been making smoothies with protein powder almost every day per the doctor's recommendation, and I guess it has been working.

I'll go back on Monday afternoon for another check up. Unless I have a good picture to post or any new development, you can probably just assume no news is good news. I think I would like to have a good 3D picture of my little boy's precious face at one of these ultrasounds, but Sam has other ideas. (I say "I think" because it is a little odd to realize that I could know what our baby will look like weeks before he is born. Is that taking away the last element of surprise?) He is keeping his face right up next to the placenta and throwing that arm over his forehead - both pretty big obstacles to getting a good look at his face. He doesn't seem to be shy on the other end, though, as we always get the comment, "Well, he's definitely a boy!." Thomas thinks smugly to himself, "That's my son." :)

As for other excitement, my Bible study girls threw me a surprise shower on Tuesday!
I had so much fun, and it was really special that they put this together for me. Michelle even called Thomas over the weekend with a "car question" to tell him to make sure that I didn't eat a full dinner before Bible study. He didn't even hint that there was anything going on until Tuesday afternoon when he told me not to worry about fixing dinner. The girls showed up at our door together bearing lots of food and gifts. It was such a great treat, and I think all of us enjoyed some fun social time. It is neat to finally have some things off of my registry, too! I just keep looking through all of the cute outfits, toys, and gear, anticipating what it will be like when Sam is here to make use of it all. I have been blessed with such generous and thoughtful friends. Thanks girls!

No comments: